There’s no shortage of things to do during your Utah resort stay. Go hiking in Water Canyon Utah. Book an off-road tour, or take a day trip to Brian Head for a day of skiing and snowboarding. Visit the Water Canyon Winery for a wine tasting and a tour of our beautiful vineyards. You could even spend a full day relaxing and enjoying your Water Canyon Resort cabin.

Of course, one of the most popular things to do in Southern Utah is to visit Zion National Park. Zion National Park receives millions of visitors a year, and for good reason. The park features some of the most incredible landscapes you’ll find in the Southwest. But it’s far from the only natural attraction worth a visit during your stay.

If you’re looking for a spot to escape the crowds on a busy day in Zion or simply want to enjoy some different activities and adventures, you’re in luck. There are a number of Utah state parks located an hour or less from our Utah resort. Keep reading to learn 5 state parks you should visit on your next visit to the area.

Frontier Homestead State Park

Located about an hour’s drive from Hildale Utah in Cedar City, Utah is Frontier Homestead State Park Museum. This park is a great option if you want to take a break from hiking and learn a little more about the history of the Southern Utah region. 

As the name suggests, the property boasts both a state park and a museum. Both are dedicated to telling the story of cultivating iron ore in the mid-1800s. In 1851, a shortage of iron ore drove pioneers, sent by Mormon leader Brigham Young, to the Cedar City area. In less than a year, those settlers built a blast furnace and a small community to house the workers needed to run the iron foundry. 

Today, visitors can explore historic cabins and the ruins of the Old Iron Town, as well as the museum which houses a collection of horse-drawn farm equipment, pioneer craft demonstrations, and more.

While this park may be small, it’s big on interactive exhibits. This makes it a great destination for families young and old looking to add some history and education to their Southern Utah adventure.

Sand Hollow State Park

One downside to visiting Zion National Park in the middle of the summer is that many of the park’s most popular trails and overlooks offer little in the way of shade.

Beat the crowds and the heat with a day trip to Sand Hollow State Park. Just an hour’s drive from our Utah resort, this 20,000-acre park is home to a massive reservoir. Warm as bathwater in the summer, it’s perfect for swimming, boating, water skiing, and more.

If watersports aren’t your thing, don’t skip this park. Its most popular feature is the 6,000-acre off-road playground that’s connected to it. Here you can rent ATVs and OTVs, bring your own, or join a tour. Sand Hollow State Park is an adrenaline-junkies paradise. You’ll cruise over sand dunes, rocky expanses, fields of cacti, and more. If you want to enjoy a heart-pounding adventure you won’t find in Zion, this park is a must-see during your visit.

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park

Another must-see state park during your Utah resort stay is Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. This park is just 30 minutes from the best canyons resort Utah has to offer. This makes it a great spot to spend a morning or afternoon before returning to your cabin to relax.

Like Snow Canyon, this park is a destination for off-roading. The park’s dunes are a bit smaller than Snow Canyon, at just over 3,000 acres. But around 90 percent of the dunes are open for off-roading. Unlike at Snow Canyon, the other 10 percent of the dunes are reserved for hiking and another fun activity; sand sledding. This makes the park a great destination for families who want to experience the dunes without off-roading.

Planning Your Utah Resort Stay

If you’re looking to enjoy some more of the incredible landscapes that Southern Utah is known for, add these Utah state parks to your list! Any make for a great day trip from our Utah resort. They’re perfect for taking a break from hiking to go off-roading, boating, and swimming, or to spend an afternoon wandering a museum.

Ready to start planning your next Southern Utah adventure? Water Canyon Resort is the perfect base camp for your stay. Located away from the hustle and bustle of Springdale and St. George, you get to enjoy the peace and quiet, as well as the natural beauty, of Hildale Utah, while still having easy access to Southern Utah’s most popular attractions.
Book your stay today to see what makes our Utah resort one of the best!